Friday, June 1, 2012

Tinted Mason Jar

So I am obsessed with mason jars. I love finding all the different uses for them and they look to chic and pretty. My favorite ones tho, are the old style tinted blue ones. However, because they don't make them anymore they are a little pricey and hard to find.

So I found out how to tint your own mason jars. It is super easy and looks cute.
I have never done this before, so its my first time. But I will keep you posted becuase I am going to try again and also do other colors to see how that works!

What to do:
First, you need mix a couple tablespoons of glossy modge podge glue and your food coloring (if you use the gel kind you will need to add water to it so it is thin) The more food coloring you put in the darker your color will be.
Next you want to swirl around your mixture in the jar coating all sides of the jar and dumping the exess out. You will need to flip over upside down and let sit and drip down for 30 minutes.
Then Bake your jar face down in a warm oven (lowest temp) and bake for 10 minutes.
Then flip it so it is right side up and bake for another 20-30 minutes until jar is clear and you are left with a beautiful tinted jar.

Use this pretty tinted jar for flowers, pencils/pens, or anything decorative.
However, I would advise not to put anything edible into the tinted jars becuase of the toxins.


No comments:

Post a Comment