Monday, June 11, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup and Avocado Grilled Cheese

Tomato basil soup is one of my favorites!
Whenever I go to restaurants I always order it! My favorite is Nordstrom's tomato basil soup.
I found a recipe similar to theirs except I did a minor change and instead of heavy cream (way too many cals) I use fat free half and half. Tastes just as good but way less fat and calories.

Tomato Basil Soup: 
6 tablespoons olive oi
4 large carrots peeled and diced
1 large onion diced
1 tablespoon dried basil crushed 
3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes (84 ounces total)
1 quart chicken stock 
1 pint fat free half and half
salt and pepper
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add carrot and onion and cook until beginning to soften, 10 minutes, then add basil and cook until vegetables are completely soft, about 5 minutes more.

Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
Add cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve warm.
Avocado grilled cheese:
 Bread of choice (I used fresh rye)
Slice avocado in half and using a spoon spoon out avocado and smear it onto one side of the bread
Put your cheese on the other side and put together. Sear in frying pan with olive oil or butter until cheese is melted.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment